Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
* The Buddy State Notification plugin no longer prints duplicate
notifications when the same buddy is in multiple groups. (Florian
* The Buddy State Notification plugin no longer turns JID's, MSN
Passport ID's, etc. into links. (Florian QuÃ¨ze)
* purple-remote now has a "getstatusmessage" command to retrieve
the text of the current status message.
* Various fixes to the nullprpl. (Paul Aurich)
* Fix a crash when accessing the roomlist for an account that's not
connected. (Paul Aurich)
* Fix a crash in purple_accounts_delete that happens when this
function is called before the buddy list is initialized.
* Fix use of av_len in perl bindings to fix some off-by-one bugs
* On ICQ, advertise the ICQ 6 typing capability. This should fix
the reports of typing notifications not working with third-party
clients. (JaromÃr KarmazÃn)
* Many QQ fixes and improvements, including the ability to connect
using QQ2008 protocol and sending/receiving of long messages.
The recommended version to use is still QQ2005.
* Fix a crash with DNS SRV lookups. (Florian QuÃ¨ze)
* Fix a crash caused by authorization requests. (Florian QuÃ¨ze)
* Add support for IM images. (Adam Strzelecki)
* Gadu-Gadu now checks that UID's are valid. (Adam Strzelecki)
* Gadu-Gadu now does proper charset translations where needed. (Adam
* Fix an error with offline messages by shipping the *new*
"Microsoft Secure Server Authority" and the "Microsoft Internet
Authority" certificates. These are now always installed even when
using --with-system-ssl-certs because most systems don't ship
those intermediate certificates.
* The Games and Office media can now be set and displayed (in
addition to the previous Music media). The Media status text now
shows the album, if possible.
* Messages sent from a mobile device while you were offline are now
* Server transfers after you've been connected for a long time
should now be handled correctly.
* Many improvements to handling of "federated" buddies, such as those
on the Yahoo network.
* Several known crashes have been resolved.
* Many other fixes and code cleanup.
* Respect your privacy settings set using the official MySpace client.
* Add support for blocking buddies.
* Fix a bug where buddies didn't appear in their correct groups the
first time you sign into your account.
* Properly disconnect and sign out of the service when logging off.
* Support for foreground and background font colors in outgoing IMs.
* Support for background font colors in incoming IMs.
* Many other fixes and code cleanup.
* Fix insanely long idle times for Sametime 7.5 buddies by assuming
0 idle time if the idle timestamp is in the future. (Laurent
* Fix a crash that can occur on login. (Raiko Nitzsche)
* Fix a crash when a malformed message is received.
* Don't allow connecting accounts if no server name has been
specified. (Florian QuÃ¨ze)
* Fix the namespace URL we look for in PEP reply stanzas to match
the URL used in the 'get' requests (Paul Aurich)
* Resources can be set to the local machine's hostname by using
__HOSTNAME__ as the resource string. (Jonathan Sailor)
* Resources can now be left blank, causing the server to generate a
resource for us where supported. (Jonathan Sailor)
* Resources now default to no value, but "Home" is used if the
server refuses to provide a resource.
* Quit trying to get user info for MUC's. (Paul Aurich)
* Send "client-accepts-full-bind-result" attribute during SASL
login. This will fix Google Talk login failures if the user
configures the wrong domain for his/her account.
* Support new
Avatar. (Paul Aurich)
* Fix SHA1 avatar checksum errors that occur when one of the bytes
in a checksum begins with 0. (Paul Aurich)
* Fix a problem with duplicate buddies. (Paul Aurich)
* Corrected maximum message lengths for Yahoo!
* Fix file transfers with older Yahoo protocol versions.
* Enable auto-reply, to emulate 'zaway.' (Toby Schaffer)
* Fix a crash when an account is configured to use tzc but tzc is
not installed or the configured tzc command is invalid. (Michael
* Fix a 10 second delay waiting on tzc if it is not installed or the
configured command is invalid. (Michael Terry)
* On GTK+ 2.14 and higher, we're using the gtk-tooltip-delay setting
instead of our own (hidden) tooltip_delay pref. If you had
previously changed that pref, add a line like this to
~/.purple/gtkrc-2.0 (where 500 is the timeout (in ms) you want):
gtk-tooltip-timeout = 500
To completely disable tooltips (e.g. if you had an old
tooltip_delay of zero), add this to ~/.purple/gtkrc-2.0:
gtk-enable-tooltips = 0
* Moved the release notification dialog to a mini-dialog in the
buddylist. (Casey Ho)
* Fix a crash when closing an authorization minidialog with the X
then immediately going offline. (Paul Aurich)
* Fix a crash cleaning up custom smileys when Pidgin is closed.
* Fix adding a custom smiley using the context menu in a conversation
if no custom smilies have previously been added using the smiley
* Improved support for some message formatting in conversations.
* Allow focusing the coversation history or userlist with F6.
* Fixed the Send Button plugin to avoid duplicate buttons in a single
* Double-clicking a saved status will now activate it and close the
saved status manager, rather than edit the status.
* Allow binding meta+arrow keys for actions.
* Added default meta+erase binding for delete previous word.
* Added "Show When Offline" to buddy menus, so a plugin is no longer