XChat is a popular Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client. It has a choice of a tabbed document interface or tree interface, support for multiple servers and is highly configurable.
XChat is a full-featured IRC client and includes all basic functionalities that are found in most other IRC clients, including CTCP, DCC file transfers and chats.
It supports a plugin system for various languages (including C, C++, Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby, Lua, CLISP, D, and DMDScript). By writing plugins, the features and functionality of XChat can be extended and customized.
- When explorer.exe crashes and restarts itself, XChat will now re-create its tray icon, previously it would disappear.
- Launching two or more copies of XChat will no longer make the tray icon disappear in the new copies.
- Connecting to SSL IRC servers no longer requires OpenSSL libraries. We now use Windows' own TLS library (aka SChannel). This removes a dependency on a 528 KB file, saving space and memory. I have tested approx 20 SSL servers and only 1 is failing, which I suspect is the server's own fault. Please report any failures or feedback on this, as the code is pretty new and complex!
- The Tree-View can now be placed above the user list, as seen in this forum thread.
- The user list can now be placed on the left side with /set gui_ulist_left 1, but requires a restart.
- The entry box's right-click menu now adds the "Windows IME" input method. This is useful for inputting various non-English languages. There's a whole thread on this here. Setting the environment variable GTK_IM_MODULE to "ime" will make this stick.
- Nick serv authentication is now sent without the ":" when using the /NICKSERV or /NS method. More at sf.net.
- Reverted an unintended charset change in 2.8.1a&b. When using "IRC (Latin/Unicode Hybrid)" mode, a (c with caron) would be sent as plain 'c' when it should have been sent as UTF-8 with the caron preserved.
- Fixed a bug in the "Copy Selected Link" URL right-click menu on non-ASCII characters.
- Perl: Fixed a timer bug that could cause a crash during /reloadall or /unloadall.
- Fixed a crash bug in /MENU. Adding a radio or toggle item that deleted itself in its own select-command would crash.
- Automated crash reporting to www.xchat.org (optional). If/When a crash occurs, you will be asked if you want to send information about the crash to our web site.
- Upgraded this log to proper html