VLC Media Player 2.0.6
VLC Media Player is the most popular and robust multi format, free media player available. The open source media player was publically released in 2001 by non-profit organization VideoLAN Project. VLC Media Player quickly became very popular thanks to its versatile multi-format playback capabilities. It was aided by compatibility and codec issues which rendered competitor media players like QuickTime, Windows and Real Media Player useless to many popular video and music file formats. The easy, basic UI and huge array of customization options have enforced VLC Media Player’s position at the top of the free media players.
VLC plays almost any video or music file format you can find. At its launch this was a revolution compared to the default media players most people were using that often crashed or displayed “codecs missing” error messages when trying to play media files. VLC can play MPEG, AVI, RMBV, FLV, QuickTime, WMV, MP4 and a shed load of other media file formats. For a full list of compatible file formats please click here. Not only can VLC Media Player handle loads of different formats, VLC can also playback partial or incomplete media files so you can preview downloads before they finish.
Easy to Use
VLC’s UI is definitely a case of function over beauty. The basic look does however make the player extremely easy to use. Simply drag and drop files to play or open them using files and folders then use the classic media navigation buttons to play, pause, stop, skip, edit playback speed, change the volume, brightness, etc. A huge variety of skins and customization options mean the standard appearance shouldn’t be enough to prevent you choosing VLC as your default media player.
Don’t let VLC Media Player’s simple interface fool you, within the playback, audio, video, tools and view tabs are a huge variety of player options. You can play with synchronization settings including a graphic equalizer with multiple pre-sets, overlays, special effects, AtmoLight video effects, audio spatializer and customizable range compression settings. You can even add subtitles to videos by adding the SRT file to the video’s folder.
VLC Media Player is quite simply the most versatile, stable and high quality free media player available. It has rightly dominated the free media player market for over 10 years now and looks like it may for another 10 years thanks to the constant development and improvement by VideoLAN Org.
* Fix HTTPS playback with some certificates previously rejected
# Audio Output:
* Improve lookup of human readable device names in AUHAL plugin (OS X)
* Fix crash with broken asf files (SA-1302)
* Fix MKV behaviour with unknown or new ebml elements
* Fix use-after-free crash in Ogg demuxer, found by Tomi Juntunen
* Fix regression on some paletted codecs in AVI
* Fix ALAC in mp4 regression
* Improvements to the vimeo playlist parser
* Fix GPU decoding on Intel HD 2000/3000 cards on Windows
* Fix FLAC 6.1 and 7.1 channel layout
* Fix crashes in HTML srt subtitles
* 3rd party codecs updates
# Mac OS X:
* Fix subtitle rendering resolution when using OS X's native fullscreen mode
* Improve fullscreen controller time slider with larger click target
* Fix listing of the lua interfaces (web, telnet and console) in the advanced preferences panel
* Fix spatializer audio filter panel
* Fix crash within the video output code
* Fix BDMV folder selection issue on OS X Mountain Lion, which treats such folders as a AVCHD file as soon as they include an item named INDEX.BDM
* Fix bug which caused a hidden fullscreen panel
* Fix various minor UI drawing issues (main window, fullscreen controller, lua extensions, ...)
* Allow VLC to be associated with .dvdmedia packages
* Fix clearing of Media Info panel on dialog exit
* Numerous D-Bus and MPRIS2 improvements
* Reject broken versions of PulseAudio
* Fix uninstallation in different location than C:\
* Update of Brazilian Portuguese, Traditional Chinese, Thai, Portuguese, Japanese, Italian, Hebrew, Estonian, Spanish, Czech, Catalan, Bosnian, Asturian, French, Romanian, Serbian, Russian, Hindi, Estonian, German Slovenian Norwegian Bokmål, Khmer, Icelandic, Interlingua, Welsh, Ukrainian, Dutch, Danish, translations
* New Gujarati, Aragonese translations