TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
# Server for Windows
- If a server is running on Windows 8, remote desktop screen is updated much faster.
- Now it is possible to show a single application rather than the whole remote desktop. For that, run a server with a -shareapp CLI option and pass a running process ID as its argument.
- Increased security when password protection for a server is used: if Administration > Ask password for each operation is checked, a password is required each time the settings are changed.
- Administration -> Protect control operations with a password flag is: if checked, a password is required each time the settings are changed.
- Added ZRLE and RRE encoding support.
- Fixed issues when Extra Ports are used: now clients can safely establish connection to a server.
- When a client has disconnected, pressed key states are reset on the server side.
- Fixed an issue with drawing of a cursor on the server side when Let remote server deal with cursor option is enabled in the Viewer settings. Transparency issues for a cursor are also fixed.
- Fixed a bug with desktop size after the screen DPI is changed.
- Invalid JPG data now leads to error throwing rather than crashing.
- Fixed a bug with queued and non-sent updates on desktop changes.
- Fixed a missing system libraries error on Windows 2003 (sometimes wtsapi32.dll or psapi.dll could not be found).
# Viewer for Windows
- Now it is possible to change the port the Viewer listens on (in the Listening mode) and reconnect to the server right on the fly.
- Now Viewer can successfully connect to servers that require RFB protocol 4.0 or higher (in fact, RFB 3.8 will be used to establish connection).
- If minimized, a full-screen window is now restored as a full-screen application rather than a windowed one.
- Ctrl + M command is now applicable when in the full-screen mode.
- Now correct resolution is reported in the Connection info window when a remote screen size is not divided by 4.
- Fixed invalid memory allocations that caused Viewer to crash when a Tight or ZRLE decoder is used.
- Fixed a bug with VNC session files if a port is less than 100.
- Fixed grayscale color issue (instead of a full color) when a Tight decoder is used.
- Fixed rare mouse scrolling issues.
- Fixed memory leaking when incorrect JPG data is received.
- Fixed a bug when Viewer cannot connect to a server (with Windows XP or Windows 2003) with a Unicode name.
- Now a file transfer dialog can be in the background.