Songbird 1.0.0 RC3
Songbird is an open-source customizable music player.
It is integrated with these Web 2.0 services: mashTape, SHOUTcast Radio, Last.fm Scrobbling, and Songkick concert tickets. You can enhance Songbird with community-contributed plugins like Media Flow.
- Smart Playlists
- Built-In Web Browser
- Multi-language Support
- Automatic Updates
- Setup Assistant
- Custom User Interface
- Library Management
- Developer Support
Beta features include portable device support, metadata management, album artwork, and subscriptions.
Please note that the author has stopped supporting this program, but Nightingale is now available as an alternative.
Improved Audio/Playback Functionality
* We now use GStreamer as our main media playback system, across all platforms - giving us higher performance, better reliability, and a platform for much more media-related functionality in the future.
* Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA on Windows; and AAC on Windows and Mac.
UI Experience Improvements
User experience improvements include these significant visual and functional changes:
* Many new keyboard shortcuts added. The list of those supported per platform can be viewed via "Keyboard Shortcuts" selection in the Help menu.
* Weâ€™ve refined the column heading property list and made it easier to enable the properties you care about. Just right click on any column heading in a library or playlist to give it a try.
* "Show File" now available for any selected track via File menu or right click on track contextual menu. This provides an easy way to find the media file location on your filesystem.
* Smart Playlists can now be used as rules within other Smart Playlists.
* Ability to show/hide display panes via individual buttons for service pane, bottom and right sidebar display panes
This release provides improved performance:
* Faster Media Importing
* Drastically Faster Search
* Reduced Startup Times
* Snappier Sorting
* Efficient Scrolling of Large Libraries
* Reduced Memory Usage (When importing and using large libraries)
Many miscellaneous top crashers were fixed for this release.