Songbird 0.6 Beta
Songbird is an open-source customizable music player.
It is integrated with these Web 2.0 services: mashTape, SHOUTcast Radio, Last.fm Scrobbling, and Songkick concert tickets. You can enhance Songbird with community-contributed plugins like Media Flow.
- Smart Playlists
- Built-In Web Browser
- Multi-language Support
- Automatic Updates
- Setup Assistant
- Custom User Interface
- Library Management
- Developer Support
Beta features include portable device support, metadata management, album artwork, and subscriptions.
Please note that the author has stopped supporting this program, but Nightingale is now available as an alternative.
* We have implemented jemalloc as our memory allocator for XULRunner on windows and linux. On these platforms we've been noticing Songbird's memory footprint has reduced between 15-20%.
* There is a new metadata editor! To check it out select a track and choose cmd/ctrl+e.
* We now write metadata back to the file.
* For Windows, the latest MTP add-on has been revved and we're supporting more devices.
* For all OS platforms, the iPod add-on has been completely rewritten to support our new device API
* Major performance improvements in the library when scrolling, filtering and importing (we now support much larger libraries too.)
* For Mac, the latest Quicktime add-ons for ppc and intel greatly improve playback performance for local MP3 and M4A files (no more latency issues before playback begins.)
* We have added a survey to Help Make Songbird Better in this release. We will use your feedback to improve future versions of the Bird!