Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
- Fix the exceptions in purple-remote on Python 2.6+. (Ari Pollak)
- When a conversation has reached the maximum limit on the number of smileys, display the text representation of the smiley properly when it contains HTML-escapable characters (e.g. "<3" was previously displayed as "<3").
- Drop dependency on GdkGC and use Cairo instead.
- New UI hack to assist in first-time setup of Facebook accounts with icon from Jakub Szypulka.
- Don't hide the buddy list if there is no notification area in which to put the icon.
- Fix multipart parsing when '=' is included in the boundary for purple_mime_document_parse. (Jakub Adam)
# AIM and ICQ:
- Buddies who unset their status message will now be correctly shown without a message in your buddy list.
- Updated our bundled libgadu and minimum requirement for external libgadu to 1.9.0.
- Stop showing ourselves in the list of endpoints that can be disconnected.
- Allow full-size display names, by not escaping (most) non-English characters.
- Fix receiving messages from users on Yahoo and other federated services.
- Correctly remove old endpoints from the list when they sign out.
- Add option to disable connections from multiple locations.
- Correctly update your own display name in the buddy list.
- Correctly show ourselves as offline in the buddy list when going invisible.
- Correctly update your own icon in the buddy list.
- Remove struct packing for better portability.
- Terminate Jingle sessions with unsupported content types.