Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
Richard: We have some new code in the pipeline, but it's not quite
ready for a general release. Instead, this is basically a bug fix
Luke: Unfortunately the necessity of this bug fix release means
some of the tickets that have been closed as part of the 2.2.1
milestone are not actually fixed yet. We have grabbed as many
of the changes as we could while avoiding those that are as
yet unstable though, and this should still be a marked
improvement over 2.2.0. We have spent a lot of time since the
last release looking at the tickets that have been submitted
and many of them have been closed.
Stu: I haven't NEWS'd in a while. I haven't actually done much for
too long also, maybe I'll find some time soon. This release is
basically what 2.2.0 should have been - it actually compiles this
Version 2.2.1 (09/29/2007):
NOTE: Due to the backporting that happened for the actual
release, it is possible bugs marked as fixed in 2.2.1
will not be fixed until 2.2.2.
* A few build issues on Solaris were fixed.
* Cancelling the password prompt for an account will no longer leave
it in an ambiguous state. (It will be disabled.)
* Fixed an erroneous size display for MSN file transfers. (galt)
* Fixed multiple memory leaks, particularly in XMPP and MySpace
* Fixed remembering proxy preferences and status scores
* Gmail notifications are better tracked
* Fixed keyboard tab reordering to move tabs one step instead of two.
* You should no longer lose proxy settings when Pidgin is restarted.
* Fixed detection of X11 when compiling
* Pressing 'Insert' in the buddylist will bring up the 'Add Buddy' dialog.