VLC Media Player 32-bit 1.0.2
VLC Media Player is the most popular and robust multi format, free media player available. The open source media player was publically released in 2001 by non-profit organization VideoLAN Project. VLC Media Player quickly became very popular thanks to its versatile multi-format playback capabilities. It was aided by compatibility and codec issues which rendered competitor media players like QuickTime, Windows and Real Media Player useless to many popular video and music file formats. The easy, basic UI and huge array of customization options have enforced VLC Media Player’s position at the top of the free media players.
VLC plays almost any video or music file format you can find. At its launch this was a revolution compared to the default media players most people were using that often crashed or displayed “codecs missing” error messages when trying to play media files. VLC can play MPEG, AVI, RMBV, FLV, QuickTime, WMV, MP4 and a shed load of other media file formats. For a full list of compatible file formats please click here. Not only can VLC Media Player handle loads of different formats, VLC can also playback partial or incomplete media files so you can preview downloads before they finish.
Easy to Use
VLC’s UI is definitely a case of function over beauty. The basic look does however make the player extremely easy to use. Simply drag and drop files to play or open them using files and folders then use the classic media navigation buttons to play, pause, stop, skip, edit playback speed, change the volume, brightness, etc. A huge variety of skins and customization options mean the standard appearance shouldn’t be enough to prevent you choosing VLC as your default media player.
Don’t let VLC Media Player’s simple interface fool you, within the playback, audio, video, tools and view tabs are a huge variety of player options. You can play with synchronization settings including a graphic equalizer with multiple pre-sets, overlays, special effects, AtmoLight video effects, audio spatializer and customizable range compression settings. You can even add subtitles to videos by adding the SRT file to the video’s folder.
VLC Media Player is quite simply the most versatile, stable and high quality free media player available. It has rightly dominated the free media player market for over 10 years now and looks like it may for another 10 years thanks to the constant development and improvement by VideoLAN Org.
* Native support for WMA Professional, without the use of the Win32 dlls
* Fix issues in subtitles, especially SSA ones
* Various fixes on theora and ogg
* Various fixes for EPG support in MPEG-TS demuxer
* Fixes for potential stack overflow in .avi, .mp4 and .asf demuxers
* Fixes for v4l2 devices
* Fixes for dvb-c channels-scanning
# Qt Interface:
* Fix some playlist sorting issues
# Mac OS X Interface:
* Fixed a crash when updating VLC
* Fixed a crash related to QTKit when opening video files (10.6 only)
* Added the ability to play 2nd media in sync to the primary item (input-slave)
* Added the "Quit after Playback" feature
# Mac OS X Port:
* The "Delete Preferences" script is now delivered as a Universal Binary
with native code for PowerPC, Intel and Intel 64bit
* Full 64bit runtime compatibility on both Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6
- no support for Goom and SDL
- limited text rendering support
- This port is still considered as EXPERIMENTAL despite its binary release.
* MPEG2 transrate stream output removed
* x264 default-values closer to x264.exe defaults.
* x264 rc-behaviour fixes:
- if user defines qp-value, CQP-mode is used
- otherwise if user defines vb=0, CRF-mode is used
- otherwise ABR-mode is used
* x264 set vbv-bufsize/vbv-maxsize better if user hasn't defined these:
- ABR mode set vbv-max-bitrate=bitrate
- vbv-bufsize is bitrate * seconds between keyframes (keyint/fps)
* Lua scripts for Mpora and Vimeo playback
# Unix builds:
* Various fixes to enable 1.0 to build on Solaris and OpenBSD
* New Kazakh and Croatian translations
* Lithunanian translation is available on Windows
* Galician, Korean, Nepali, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Brazilian, Arabic and French translation updates