VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
# The following items were fixed and/or added:
* VMM: fixed a Guru Meditation VERR_ACCESS_DENIED with certain guests
* VMM: fixed a Guru Meditation VERR_PAGE_TABLE_NOT_PRESENT with Ubuntu 32-bit guests with nested paging enabled on AMD CPUs
* VMM: preserve segment limits and attributes when switching to unreal mode required for some legacy guests to work properly (VT-x without unrestricted guest execution only)
* VMM: fixed a VM hang after a resume from pause / savestate with SMP guests in rare cases
* 3D Support: several fixes for the Windows WDDM video driver crash
* NAT: fixed a crash on attempt to process ICMP datagram under some circumstances
* Host-only Networking: lifted the maximal number of interfaces to 128 on Linux and Mac OS X hosts (there is no such limitation for Solaris and Windows hosts)
* EFI: fixed wrong SEC/PEI Core entry point calculation
* VRDP: fixed a display update problem
* Main: set the proper VM state if savestate failed for some reason
* Main: more useful error message if a medium is inaccessible
* VBoxManage: fixed controlvm savestate if the VM is already paused
* Mac OS X hosts: addressed issues running on Mountain Lion Preview 3
* Linux hosts: Linux 3.4 compile fixes
* Linux hosts: fixed wrong help path in some rpm-based packages
* Guest Additions: fixed handling of custom environment variables during VBoxManage guestcontrol execute
* Windows Additions: fixed guest driver crash of VBoxSF in certain cases (4.1.10 regression)
* Windows Additions: don't load the WDDM driver if 3D support is not available for Windows 8 guests to keep the guest maintainable in that case (still better to miss some features than providing a blank screen)
* Solaris Additions: added support for X.org Server 1.11 and 1.12