Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
- Use silent build rules for automake >1.11. You can enable verbose builds with the --disable-silent-rules configure option, or using make V=1.
- Fix the TURN server settings (broken in 2.7.0).
- Re-focus the input area after clicking the attention toolbar button.
- Re-arrange media window to make it more netbook-friendly.
- Rebindable 'suggest-next-page' and 'suggest-prev-page' actions for textboxes (GntEntry) to scroll through list of suggestions.
- Rebindable 'dropdown' action for comboboxes (GntComboBox?) to show the dropdown list of options.
- Fix non-ASCII arguments to /mode et al. (thanks to Max Ulidtko)
- Support for web-based buddy icons, used when a buddy logs in to the messenger on the Live website.
- Fix file transfers with some clients that don't support direct connections (e.g., papyon, telepathy-butterfly, etc.) (#12150)
- Fix filename for the Shocked emoticon. (#12364)
- Implement the new naming conventions where possible. (MXitId, etc)
- Display a message in the Groupchat window when you invite somebody.
- Birthday field in profile cannot be edited when server says it is locked.
- If a buddy is offline, show in their profile when last they were online.
- Handle pushed profile update packets (ie, when changing your avatar via the Gallery bot).
- If a buddy is offline and we see from their profile that they have updated their avatar, request the new avatar image from the server.
- Fix a possible crash if a link is clicked while disconnected.
- Unescape any escaped characters in a chatroom nickname.
- Add the new MXit moods and emoticons.
- MXit emoticons added to the small emoticon theme.
- Allow connecting to servers that only advertise GSSAPI and expect a fallback to legacy IQ authentication (broken in 2.7.0).
- Fix a crash when receiving custom emoticons that don't adhere to the specification.
- When initiating a file transfer, don't show resources that are certain to not support file transfers in the resource selection dialog.
- Fix connecting to servers using BOSH and authenticating with DIGEST-MD5 when libpurple was built with Cyrus SASL support.
* Yahoo/Yahoo JAPAN
- Renamed "Use account proxy for SSL connections" to "Use account proxy for HTTP and HTTPS requests" and tied the option to HTTP requests too.
- Properly detect HTTP proxy server use when the HTTP proxy is the global proxy server, an account-level non-HTTP proxy server is configured, and the "Use account proxy for HTTP and HTTPS requests" account option is turned off. This fixes connecting for some HTTP proxy servers.
- Fall back to connecting to scsa.msg.yahoo.com (not configurable) if the HTTP-based connect server lookup fails. This does not work for Yahoo JAPAN accounts.
- Fix file transfers that get stuck with "Waiting for transfer to begin".