Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
Sadrul: We added some usability changes in this release, including the
typing notification, buddyicon and input area size in the conversation
windows, escape to close conversation windows etc. These changes should
make pidgin more usable and more fun for Everyone! *wink*
Stu: I fixed some memory leaks, but nothing like as many as Daniel did.
MSN buddy list synchronization should be significantly less painful now,
and opening MSN inboxes might work better too. SILC passphrase changes
and support for passphrase-less keys has been improved also.
* In MySpaceIM, messages from spambots are discarded (Justin Williams)
* Strip mIRC formatting codes from quit and part messages.
* IRC now displays ban lists in-channel for joined channels.
* Fixed a bug where the list of loaded plugins would get removed when
switching between different operating systems.
* Fix reception of IRC PART without a part message on Undernet
(fixes a problem with litter in the channel user list).
* IRC no longer crashes on /list on servers which erroneously omit
* Update the NetworkManager support to use D-Bus directly, instead of
libnm-glib. Hopefully it's stable now. It will now compile by
default if you have D-Bus support and NetworkManager.h. (Elliott
Sales de Andrade)
* MSN buddy list synchronization is now more forgiving, only asking
about buddies who have disappeared completely from the server list
and not those that have simply moved groups.
* IRC will now try to append 1-9 to your nick if it is in use, instead
of substituting the last character with 1-9 where possible.
* Bonjour buddies will be saved persistently if they're moved out of
the "Bonjour" group. (Eion Robb)
* The typing notification in the conversation history can be disabled or
customized (font, color etc.) in .gtkrc-2.0.
* Added a plugin (not installed by default) which adds a Send button
back to the conversation window. People without physical keyboards
have a hard time with the lack of the button.
* Clicking on the buddyicon in the conversation window toggles the
size of the icon between small and large.
* The settings of a chat (e.g. Handle in an XMPP chat, or Exchange in
an AIM chat) can be edited from its context menu in the buddy list.
* Add a "Present conversation window" preference to the Message
Notification plugin; the "Raise conversation window" option does not
unminimize windows or draw attention to them when they are on other
workspaces--the "Present" option should.
* Add a preference to set Escape as the keyboard shortcut for closing
the conversation window.
* Add an option in the context menu to disable smileys in the selected
text in the conversation history/log viewer. This should help people
who regularly paste code in conversations.
* Add a preference to choose the minimum size of the text input area in
* Moved the "Local alias" field in the Modify Account dialog to be below
the "User Options" heading on the "Basic" tab.
* Number of room occupants is now shown in chat tooltips where possible
* The configure script now dies on more absent dependencies. The
--disable-xxx arguments to configure can be used to bypass unneeded
dependencies. This will also cause the configure script to die if an
--enable-xxx option is used and the dependencies it requires are
* The Evolution integration plugin must now be explicitly enabled. Use
the --enable-gevolution argument to configure to enable it.
* The Contact Availability Prediction plugin must now be explicitly
enabled. Use the --enable-cap argument to configure to enable it.
* New default binding ctrl+x to open context menus.
* Menu triggers and other bindings will no longer conflict.
* Middle click pastes the internal clipboard (when mouse support is