Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User Interface
- A tooltip to the Opera O menu
- After removing an option from a SELECT, the wrong option appears selected
- Windowless QuickTime not working
- Context menu search opening in a new tab, and not reusing current tab
- Copy Link Address context menu item following redirects
- Problem with MDI window size after maximizing an Opera window
- Not being able to drag a bookmark into a tab with a page already loaded
- Scrollbars not showing on transformed elements
- Old tab content showing briefly when opening link in a new tab
- Middleclick scrolling also scrolls fixed positioned content
- Opening and closing an Opera Panel changes the position of a child window
- Slow scrolling when using page search (when page is dimmed)
- UI dropdowns should be closing when their parent button is clicked a second time
- Crash dialog not defaulting to a restart of Opera
- Warning dialog for configuration file download not disappearing
- Problem occurring after customizing the Transfers Panel
- "Copy Video Address" not working
- "Exit" button in sync dialog not working
- Flash videos flickering, disappearing, or being corrupted after scrolling
- First Opera Link synchronization not properly syncing modified bookmarks
- Not being able to copy an audio address in a context menu
- "Rewind" and "Fast Forward" always being disabled/grayed out in a right-click context menu
- "New Tab" from Dock or Jumplist creating a new window with two tabs
- Printing dialog on maps.google.com blocks keyboard input
- Check boxes not having a focus indication
- Client being put in an endless synchronization loop
- Problem closing a tab with customized search field or appearance dialog open
- Problem occurring with the Westpac bank Web site
- Gray out/disable "remove from toolbar" for the Opera O menu button
- Edited Notes not being updated when using Opera Link
- Filename missing from the image context menu
- Freeze when importing a large bookmark file
- Problem occurring after synchronization
- "Reload Image" being ignored after an unfinished image load
- Mouse gesture "Back | Close page" not working for the "Close page" action
- Several problems related to accessibility
- Problem causing immediate exit on a page with Silverlight
- Clearing of clipboard data from private browsing on tab/window close
- Open window in the background opens a link in a foreground window
- A problem when typing any character in the Open dialog and pressing the Enter key
# Mail, News, Chat
- Mail lost when upgrading from Opera 9.27 to Opera 10.52
# Display and scripting
- Several cache issues
- An issue with the image onerror event
- Enabling designmode removes event listeners
- XMLHttpRequest response referrer being wrong when request initiated in call from another frame
- Incorrect precision on negative numbers, setTimeout, and setInterval
- Wrong accelerator key being used for CJK fonts
- Incorrect font being used for UTF-8 pages without a language specified
- Painting issues affecting page scrolling when part of the page is covered
- Opera Dragonfly not selecting an active tab when opened
- Problem when enumerating an object
- Flash video continuing to download after the tab is closed
- Arguments for "execute program" not being sent to the external program
- Problem when changing the skin and color scheme
- Links from external applications not opening in Opera
- Problem when opening international fonts dialog
- Painting issues scrolling page when part of the page is covered by dialog
- Problem with SVG DOM
- Problem with the Facebook website
- Security information dialog entries
- Waiting for DNS confirmation of cookie domain(s)
- Network problem when using a proxy
- Supporting any HTTP verb in XHR, with exceptions
- Multiple connection attempts failing over a proxy
- Incorrect location setting of an HTTPS iframe from different server
# Opera Unite
- Problem when accessing the admin pages
- "Enable Unite" preference not working
# Opera Widgets for Desktop
- Removed security policy restrictions on widget.openURL and external links
- Opera Unite Media Player application being maximized when hovering over the taskbar
- Issue when clicking the right mouse button in the "Connect to Remote Debugger" dialog
- Creating folders is not questioned if an installation path is simply typed
- Widgets with sufficiently long non-ASCII names not always appearing as being installed
- Widget in application mode position being stored incorrectly after a restart
- Spellcheck not fixing words in widgets
- Instance number not displaying on initial installer screen if installing another instance of the same widget
- Widget with : and / in its name not being installed
- Widget freezing when connecting to debugger