Opera 10.0 RC (B 1733)
Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
* New application icon
* Fixed the new tab button on the sides
* Various small Visual Tabs fixes
* Fixed a BitTorrent crash
* Fix to jumping up/down of the new tab button while on the sides
* Fixed Bug DSK-195906 (Opera error page selects URL field when displayed, also when focus is already inside URL field)
* Fixed Bug DSK-257578 ("..." in site titles in some cases overlap the close button)
* Fixed Bug DSK-258585 (Can't remove menu button when main menu is disabled): The menu button can be removed as any other toolbar button now (upgraders may have to reset the toolbar first)
* Fixed Bug DSK-261205 (Strings don't fit in Preferences > Downloads [pl])
* Fixed Bug DSK-261206 (Strings don't fit in Preferences > Programs [pl])
* Fixed Bug DSK-261757 (Missing "splitter" in bookmark split view)
* Fixed Bug DSK-261933 (Text cut off in startup dialog (Polish translation))
* Fixed Bug DSK-261962 ("Reset Toolbar to Its Default" resets all toolbars, not just the current)
* Fixed Bug DSK-262181 (Empty [dropdown widget] section added to custom shortcuts by update)
* Fixed Bug DSK-262283 (Skin.ini section inconsistencies)
* Various crash fixes
* Fixed Bug CORE-19376 (Crash navigating history)
* Fixed a crash
* Fixed Bug DSK-245600 (Mail imported into account with no downloading of message bodies loses bodies)
* Fixed Bug DSK-261035 (Crash when opening image attachments)
* Fixed Bug DSK-261459 (Go to Unread View when requested, don't reuse a maximized mail view)
* Crash Fix
* Reverted Fix to Bug DSK-241262 (Error message when opening HTML files if Opera is not already running): This caused DSK-262363
* Fixed Bug DSK-259756 (Installer removes icon pinned to the Windows 7 task bar)
* Fixed Bug DSK-260498 (The list of closed tabs needs clicks to be shown)
* Fixed Bug DSK-262363 (Other programs using the http protocol to open websites in Opera just open blank page in Windows Vista and Windows 7)
* Fixed Bug DSK-259743 (Closed tabs and new tab buttons have non-native looks in native skin)
* Fixed Bug DSK-262120 (Panel selector buttons in Native skin get Standard style when not on the left)
* Fixed Bug DSK-262272 (Closed tabs and new tab positioned incorrectly when tabbar is placed on left or right side)
* Fixed Bug DSK-261726 (Closed Tabs button overlaps tabs when set to right or left and new tab button is disabled)
* Fixed Bug DSK-259575 (Dead keys don't seem to work on widgets)
* Fixed Bug DSK-250495 (Spell checking not working for some UNIX users)