Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
- Ctrl+Enter does not fill in Wand password
- Flash player does not close when closing a tab
- Inaccessible plug-in options in File type dialog
- Clean up Address Field and Search Field paddings
- URL not displayed in address field search if the list is too long
- Visual artifact in place of an arrow in the bookmarks dialog
- Opera crashes when removing Speed Dial that is being edited in another window
- Vertical alignment broken in the Add to Bookmarks dropdown dialog
- Unfocused selected item in panels has white font without background color
- Web handler toolbar not invoked for mailto protocol after another protocol handler has been deleted
- Opera crashes when attempting to close multiple tab stacks using "close all" command
- Crash on closing all tabs with UI animations off
- Browser does not react on clicks correctly after printing (script execution not unpaused)
- Ctrl+T doesn't set focus in address field
- Remove fast forward tip
- Crash when writing mailto: on Speed Dial page
- Script execution stops in extension pop-outs after it receives resize event: Ghostery pop-out is empty
- Crash on closing extensions popup
- Highlighted lines in the address field dropdown no longer vertically aligned in the center
- Crash related to the Web Handler Toolbar
- handler-spam blocks browser interaction
- Stop/Resume button and tooltip in the download manager always says Resume
- Crash after upgrading from 11.52 to 11.60
- Blurry thumbnails when resizing Speed Dial
- Speed Dial manual zoom doesn't take effect immediately
- Crash on closing multiple tabs having the Tab Bar set to Wrap to multiple lines
- Crash with empty address in search engine template
- Crash on closing Opera after failure to Save bookmarks file
- [Win] Remove Windows Native skin
# Display and scripting
- Focus won't stay in empty contenteditable=true element during IME composition
- Gmail inbox doesn't load
- Mouse gesture crash
- Crash with Dragonfly on forbes.com
- Web Workers crash
- DOM related cache crash on startup
- Inline blocks with specified width and padding and margin cause painting issues
- Function.constructor wrong on tuenti.com
- 100% CPU and eats all available memory at cisco.com subpage
- Content missing on catchoftheday.com.au
- Inline find crash
- Events not handled on fixed positioned child of absolutely positioned parent with overflow: auto and z-index
- Searching for pages in history using page title no longer works
- ixbt.com comments are not loaded
- Opening Unite home service triggers network warning
- Improved handling of fraud protection for URLs containing authentication credentials
# Mail, news, chat
- Updated list of known mail providers for some Russian mail providers
- Make the feed header size a bit smaller and customizable (Prefs > Fonts > Titles)
- Keyboard shortcut "i" does not toggle through all mail views
- "Add contact" or shortcut A does not work
- New mails are date sorted behind old mails when no grouping is selected
- Prevent 'thread jumping' when marking messages as read
- Following contact broken when there was no contact item yet
- Not all messages get the unseen state in opera mail
- No context menu in quick reply
- Improve keyboard shortcuts and selecting messages in grouped mail list
- Follow/ignore contact and thread fixes
- Compose window background color is blue
- [Mac] "White label" in 11.60 is not white
- [Mac] Mail configuration dialogs have wrong layout on Mac
- Always show the global mail settings button in the top right position
- Expand/collapse button is not needed in mail header
- Sensible defaults for custom view specific sorting/grouping
- Use locale date format for "DD/MM" in sent date column
- Added an upgrade mail for existing M2 users
- Layout of label rules is broken
- No quick reply field on mail layout 'List and Message below'
- Can not make Spam properties dialog taller
- Search in "All messages" only works with complete strings
- Can't open attachments set to open in Opera on Mac
- Changing 'show' type settings in Unread view doesn't work
- Reopening a Mail panel section takes two clicks
- Mail list item context menu update
- Fixed a moderately severe issue; details will be disclosed at a later date
- Fixed an issue that could allow pages to set cookies or communicate cross-site for some top level domains
- Improved handling of certificate revocation corner cases
- Added a fix for a weakness in the SSL v3.0 and TLS 1.0 specifications