Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User Interface
- A progress throbber in the Opera Unite and Opera Link setup dialogs
- Favicons showing in search-engine list after double-clicking a word
- New error wording for the Opera Unite application settings dialog
- Open (UPnP) port information in the Opera Unite status dialog
- New images to the Opera installer
- The Unicode compatibility layer
- Tooltip text explaining the red dot (attention state) on the Opera Unite icon
- The Opera Unite application upgrade/launch dialog
- Wording in the Opera Unite Application security and settings dialogs
- Help now opens in new tabs when accessed with F1 and by other methods
- Opera Unite applications performance
- CSS for the standard Opera Unite applications
- Accessibility and screenreader-friendly improvements:
- Keyboard modifications and fine-tuning
- Ability to exit Opera Show via the keyboard
- Page structure and higher contrast in default Opera Unite applications
- Opera Unite Fridge application using ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) to announce updates
- Opening a shared Opera Unite URL from Trash and rendering a blank page
- Users not being informed that a valid name is already being used
- Wrong page opening for the Opera Unite Home application
- Opera asking for master password at startup instead of when the Password Manager is used
- "Search the Web for ..." not working when selected with a mouse
- The Ctrl+Z keyboard shortcut; now opens the most recently closed tab when all tabs are closed
- An issue with IRC links "Save linked content as"
- A problem showing thumbnails when hovering over tabs when tooltips are turned off
- Double clicking Opera Unite Home (while Opera Unite is running) opens two tabs instead of one
- Spatial Navigation causing a problem when approaching the end of a long document
- Opera Unite applications not starting after first install
- Tabless windows staying open when the "Allow windows with no tabs" preference is not checked
- An open widget not getting focus when double-clicking it in the Widgets panel
- Several string and translation issues
- IME (Input Method Editor) being automatically ON regardless of your previous settings
- IME (in a Japanese environment) always switches to hiragana at Opera start
- Error message appearing when opening HTML files if Opera is not already running
# Mail, News, Chat
- Using Ctrl+Enter in F2 dialog on mail view opens a page in the background and removes focus from the application
- The Opera Mail systray icon not appearing if you have a mail window open but not focused
- The hiding of certains types of mail in trash, drafts, sent, and outbox: now impossible to do so
- Missing drafts which should be present when in draft view
- Messages being incorrectly added to the mailing lists index
- Sent mail showing up in recieved mail when Mail configuration is IMAP
- Search not working in Sent items
- Not being able to send mail from a Windows host with underscores in hostname
# Display and scripting
- The. jpeg encoding used by the Opera Unite Photo Sharing application
- XML parsing errors on SVG documents
- Canvas drawImage with SVG causing memory leaks
- Problem after navigating to a page by double clicking the link context menu
- Fixed a heap buffer overflow in string to number conversion; see our advisory.
- Fixed an issue where error messages could leak onto unrelated sites; see our advisory.
- Fixed a moderately severe issue, as reported by Chris Evans of the Google Security Team; details will be disclosed at a later date.
- Text content of the 404 error page
- Incomplete page loading when running Opera Turbo
- Not being able to upgrade Opera when installed to 2-byte named directory
- Translations: updated searches, bookmarks, and Speed Dials
- Problem with default bookmarks breaking synchronization