Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
- Extension manager utlizes too much CPU
- Opera Turbo button lost on upgrade if the Status Bar was modified
- Crash when dragging a button from the Appearance dialog onto the Tab Bar
- Suggested extensions disappear after second click in [+] window in Speed Dial
- Extensions are launched even if set not to do so
- Impossible to manually resize Speed Dial if custom number of columns is set
- Installed extensions are not filtered out from the suggestions
- Selecting search suggestion using keyboard is difficult because the first search engine is focused by default
- Opera Link settings always shows Speed Dial Sync status from Opera startup value
- Crashes on cancelling Speed Dial add dialog after clicking the add button twice
- Opera Unite home service is removed from widgets.dat on disabling webserver in preferences
- Opera crashed when clicking on the + sign in Speed Dial
- Stability improvements
- Some languages spelled with small initial letter in international installer
- Cancelling uninstall triggers Windows compatibility assistant
- The text for agreeing to Opera's Terms of service seems to jumps if you click "Terms of Service" and then back again.
- Crash during installation
- Wrong registry setting, after setting Opera as the default browser
# Display and scripting
- Error in parsing Content-Disposition extension parameters
- Option elements within data lists shouldn't require value attributes
- Stability improvements
# Mail, news, chat
- Crash on marking e-mail messages as 'Not Spam'
- Mail in IMAP sent folder not marked as sent
- Crash on opening label properties with feeds only
- 'Long' OCSP/AIA/CRL requests might cause handshake failures if the TLS server cuts the connection
- Fixed an issue that could allow unsecured web content to appear secure
- Fixed a low severity issue