MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) is a disk defragmenter and optimizer for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with several optimization strategies, and can handle floppies, USB disks, memory sticks, and anything else that looks like a disk to Windows.
Included are a Windows version, a commandline version (for scheduling by the task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts), a screensaver version, a DLL library (for use from programming languages), versions for Windows X64, and the complete sources.
Why use this defragger instead of the standard Windows defragger?
- Much faster.
- Totally automatic, extremely easy to use.
- Optimized for daily use.
- Disk optimization, several strategies.
- Directories are moved to the beginning of the disk.
- Reclaims MFT reserved space after disk-full.
- Maintains free spaces for temporary files.
- Can defragment very full harddisks.
- Can defragment very large files.
- Can defragment individual directories and files.
- Can be run automatically with the Windows Scheduler.
- Can be used from the commandline.
- Can be used as a screen saver.
- Can be run from cdrom or memory stick.
- Sources available, can be customized.
- Upgraded to the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 compiler.
- Logfile is now written in UTF-8, it used to be ANSI.
- Changed the default font into a smaller font.
- A change in the display code to respond faster to multiple redraw requests, for example when the users resizes the window.
- Rewrite of the subroutine that finds combinations of files to fill a gap, to make it faster.
- Changed the algorithm for "-a 6" (move to end of disk) to better fill gaps.
- Changed the way disks are accessed to accomodate special kinds of disks, such as virtual and encrypted disks.
- Bugfix in the screensaver for very long commandlines.
- Change in the disk analyzation code to fix a "zero bytes per cluster" problem.