Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with all games using DirectX or OpenGL technology. In its current form Fraps performs many tasks and can best be described as:
Benchmarking Software - See how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you are getting in a corner of your screen. Perform custom benchmarks and measure the frame rate between any two points. Save the statistics out to disk and use them for your own reviews and applications.
Screen Capture Software - Take a screenshot with the press of a key! There's no need to paste into a paint program every time you want to capture the screen. Your screen captures are also automatically named and timestamped.
Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 1152x864 and 100 frames per second! All movies are recorded in outstanding quality.
Fraps has support for Vista and DirectX 10 games. Since the Vista Desktop Window Manager (DWM) runs through DirectX you can now take screenshots and record video from the desktop just like any other game or 3D application in Vista.
2.9.7 - 19th Dec 2008
- Fixed 64-bit applications crashing soon after loading
- Fixed low quality sound recording with Left 4 Dead under Windows XP
- Fixed graphic corruption in X-Plane (and other OpenGL titles)
- Fixed crash when recording a DirectX 9 game and changing resolution
- Fixed Fraps not detecting games after being run at Windows startup
- Fixed hotkeys not responding when Alt held down
- Fixed monitoring of Vista DWM after a full-screen application has exited
- Fixed Fluidmark displaying a blank screen with Fraps loaded
- Fixed FS9 crashing when menu activated while recording
- Fixed DWMAPI error on some Windows XP installs
- Improved recording speed of DirectX9 games in Vista SP1 and SP2 beta
- Added warning if no sound recording device found under Windows 2000 or XP