.NET Framework Version 4.0 4.5.1
The .NET Framework is Microsoft's comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 redistributable package installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files that are required to run and develop applications to target the .NET Framework 4.
The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.
.NET Framework 4 includes the following new features and improvements:
- Improvements in CLR and BCL
- Improvements in ADO.NET
- Enhancements to ASP.NET
- Improvements in Windows Presentation Foundation
- Improvements to Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation
# New features and enhancements:
* Automatic binding redirection for assemblies.
* Ability to collect diagnostics information to help developers improve the performance of server and cloud applications.
* Ability to explicitly compact the large object heap (LOH) during garbage collection.
* Additional performance improvements such as ASP.NET app suspension, multi-core JIT improvements, and faster app startup after a .NET Framework update.
# Improvements when debugging your .NET Framework apps in Visual Studio 2013:
* Return values in the Visual Studio debugger.
* Edit and Continue for 64-bit apps.
* Async-aware debugging.
* Better exception support for Windows Runtime components.