Avast! Free Antivirus is an efficient and comprehensive antivirus program. It is one of the most popular antivirus programs available, thanks to the reliable and trustworthy brand that Avast have created. The key features that continue to make Avast! Free Antivirus so popular are the easy UI, optimized scanning options and continuously updated database of virus definitions.
Simple, improved UI
The latest version includes a much simpler and quicker to use UI than previous versions. Key features can be easily reached in the sidebar and the homepage is now customizable so you can access the tools you use most often directly. The overall appearance is clean and uncluttered, with buttons intuitively labelled and positioned.
Avast are constantly updating their database of virus definitions, meaning your computer will be protected against the latest spyware, viruses and potentially hazardous websites. Avast’s large and active community quickly alerts the development team of new security threats which are swiftly countered and added to Avast’s significant database. The browser add-on further improves computer security with features like cookie and social tracking blocking.
Avast! Free Antivirus comes with a range of standard scanning options, based on depth and speed. Rapid scan will suffice in most cases - targeting removable media and the files you select, identifying security threats in usually less than a minute. A startup scan will launch automatically on boot up and is a useful, regular security check. The optimized scan engine in the latest version means scanning of text content is significantly faster than previous versions. Scanning of EXE files is around also faster. Improved memory usage means Avast! Free Antivirus should cause less strain on your system so you can continue with other tasks faster.
Avast! Free Antivirus is definitely one of the best free total security managers available. It is relatively lightweight and efficient, while still providing comprehensive security protection. The browser add on can slow browsing speed and the scanning might not be as detailed as some premium antivirus options. But the simple, effective UI and strong security capabilities make Avast! Free Antivirus a very good choice for those looking for free computer security.
- fixed extra-long duration of the boot-time scan under Windows Vista
- WebShield: improved compatibility with Windows Vista
- WebShield: better support for HTTP method CONNECT in upstream proxy scenarios
- fixed a minor memory leak in aswrdr.sys
- auto-updates now use much less CPU resources (should not interfere with other CPU-intensive programs running on the computer, e.g. games)
- added a new unpacker: "installers"; useful especially for detection of malware droppers
- Outlook/Exchange provider: improved compatibility with Outlook 2007
- boot-time scanner: fix for the case when there's the /NOGUIBOOT option in boot.ini (or BCD on Windows Vista)
- fixed a problem in Standard Shield under Windows Vista related to saving of Word 2007 documents on FAT partitions
- email alerts now use correct formatting even for non-Latin characters
- fixed a rare problem in Standard Shield related to handling of disk volumes mounted to NTFS directories
- further enhancements in executable unpackers
- fixed a bug in ZOO unpacker (special thanks to Jean-SÃ©bastien Guay-Leroux)
- task scheduler: it's now possible to specify which days of week the task should run
- command-line scanner (ashCmd.exe) now supports a couple of more command-line options, mostly related to handling of infected files
- mail scanner: improved deleting of entire emails (virus embedded in email body)
- fixed opening of the sounds settings dialog under certain operating systems
- avast! screensaver now available even under Windows Vista 64-bit
- better detection of corrupted/modified VPS file
- WebShield: other minor fixes
- added Macedonian, Croatian and Portuguese (not Brazilian) language packs