AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft® Word. It is suitable for a wide variety of word processing tasks.
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Advanced Document Layout
Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord's advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.
* Enable selections within table cells that span a whole page or more (Martin Sevior)
* Make sure g_thread_init is called before any other glib function, and remove a redundant gtk_init call (Marc Maurer)
* Bug 9329: AbiWord uses the old auto save interval instead of the new one (sum1)
* Bug 11822: Auto save no longer works (sum1)
* Bug 11972: Table of Contents numbering style is not properly reset (Hubert Figuiere)
* Fix a memory leak in the Save As dialog (Hubert Figuiere)
* Bug 11764: Prevent an assert when using SCIM (sum1)
* Bug 11959: AbiWord crashes when opening the Select Revisions dialog (sum1)
* Bug 11974: Use a C++ callback to prevent uninitialized value errors in the Save As dialog (Dominic Lachowicz)
* Bug 11974: Prevent invalid reads in the renderer by working around a bug in Pango (Hubert Figuiere)
* Bug 11975: File names are escaped when changing export type in the Save As dialog (sum1)
* Add the ability to render pages as images in the AbiWidget (Martin Sevior)
* Fix some memory leaks in the Pango renderer (Hubert Figuiere)
* Fix some memory leaks in the toolbar code (Hubert Figuiere)
* Update the Python bindings and examples to support the new render_page_to_image method (Tomeu Vizoso)
* Bug 11987: OpenXML exporter saves invalid XML characters (sum1)
* Bug 11358: Default table cell properties are not exported (Marc Maurer)
* Bug 11863: Table formatting is lost during export (Marc Maurer)
* Bug 11938: Text box formatting is lost during import (sum1)
* Bug 11939: Framed images inside of text boxes are not imported (sum1)
* Bug 11941: Table cell border colors are not properly exported (Marc Maurer)
* Bug 9643: Memory leak when importing lists (Hubert Figuiere)
* Bug 11971: Import inline style information from
* Bug 11971: Import line-height values from XHTML files (sum1)
* Don't unref used scalar data (Jean Brefort)
* Add a comment regarding table thicknesses (Marc Maurer)
* Fix a debug message to prevent uninitialized value errors in valgrind (sum1)
* Maintain and release 2.6.8 (Marc Maurer)
* Relicense ut_go_file.h and ut_go_file.c under the GPLv2+ (Marc Maurer)