VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
# The following items were fixed and/or added:
* VMM: fixed a crash under rare circumstances for VMs running without hardware virtualization
* VMM: fixed a code analysis bug for certain displacement instructions for VMs running without hardware virtualization
* VMM: fixed an interpretion bug for TPR read instructions under rare conditions
* Snapshots: fixed a crash when restoring an old snapshot when powering off a VM
* VBoxSVC: be more tolerant against environment variables with strange encodings
* VGA: fixed wrong access check which might cause a crash under certain conditions
* NAT: final fix for crashes under rare conditions
* Virtio-net: fixed the problem with receiving of GSO packets in Windows XP guests causing packet loss in host-to-VM transfers
* HPET: several fixes
* Clipboard: disable the clipboard by default for new VMs
* BIOS: the PCI BIOS was not properly detected with the chipset type set to ICH9
* Mac OS X hosts: adaptions to Mountain Lion
* Linux Installer: fixes for Gentoo Linux
* Linux guests: fixed mouse integration on Fedora 17 guests
* Linux Additions: compile fixes for RHEL/CentOS 6.3
* Linux Additions: compile fixes for Linux 3.5-rc1 and Linux 3.6-rc1
* Solaris host: fixed a guru meditation while allocating large pages
* Solaris host: fixed possible kernel panics while freeing memory
* Solaris Installer: fixed missing icon for menu and desktop shortcuts