TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
- Fixed the problem with "olemainthreadwndname not responding" in service mode under Windows NT 4.0. Under that OS, the TightVNC service could hang on logoff.
- Removed the code for "desktop optimizations" that was rather harmful than useful. Hopefully, this should fix problems with crashing Delphi application. Also this should prevent settings like font smoothing always set to true on disconnect.
- Fixed the issue with port number edit boxes that were labeled incorrectly in the Properties dialog.
- Disallowing clipboard transfers in view-only mode.
- Fixed the problem with carriage return/linefeed conversion of clipboard data.
- Fixed the problem with wallpaper being removed only after completing the initial screen transmission.
- Minor improvements in the File Transfers dialog.
- More context help messages in Properties and File Transfers dialogs.
- Other improvements and bugfixes, see ChangeLog files within the distribution for more details.