SpiderOak combines online backup, secure file sync and easy sharing in a cloud based service. Desktop clients are available for Windows, Mac OS X and multiple Linux distributions. Several gigabyte of free storage become available after account creation and can be upgraded to a 100+ GB for a monthly or yearly fee. SpiderOak consolidates several functionalities into one tool: free online backup, remote access, synchronization, sharing and storage. Data backups can run from local hard-drives as well as network drives, USB keys, external drives, CD/DVDs and other storage media. In order to prevent 3rd party access, all data is stored encrypted and transferred encrypted via a secure SSL connection. All of these features are available for both the free and the subscription service.
# New Features:
* SpiderOak Hive: We adopted a simple approach to syncing data across all devices by creating the SpiderOak Hive folder. Simply drag and drop files or folders into this folder and they will automatically sync to your other devices.
* OS Integration for Windows (Mac and Linux soon to follow): Granting right-click access functions via Explorer now allows you to backup, share, and view historical versions.
* ShareRoom Enhancement: Users can now add passwords to their ShareRooms which adds an additional layer of security when sharing important files.
* Remote Diagnostics: We added a capability for remote diagnostics to help when troubleshooting problems with customer support. This option is disabled by default. You must explicitly enabled it. Diagnostic reports consist of metadata such as program and OS version information, file system types, program log files, folder and file names. Reports do not include backup data, passwords, or encryption information.
* ShareRoom Enhancement: We added clarification to the ShareRoom creation wizard
* LAN sync: Fixed a bug with LAN sync, allowing the client to recover from certain error conditions
* UI / View Tab: Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the UI to erroneously disable the View tab in the client after displaying the "out of space" popup window.
* AppIndicator framework: Switch system tray icon to use AppIndicator framework on Ubuntu.
* Backup: Fixed a bug which prevents category size indicator on basic backup tab from updating without restarting the client
* Downloads: Fixed a bug that prevented downloads from resuming after a network failure.
* Uninstalling SpiderOak: Fixed a bug on Windows which reports publisher info as 'unknown' when uninstalling SpiderOak
* Sync: Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented sync from detecting a moved folder properly, instead considering it a deletion
* Backup: Fixed a bug causing backup to fail under a very rare edge case