Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
* The configure script will now exit with status 1 when specifying invalid protocol plugins using the --with-static-prpls and --with-dynamic-prpls arguments.
* Fix a crash when receiving UPnP responses with abnormally long values.
* Don't link directly to libgcrypt when building with GnuTLS support.
* Fix UPnP mappings on routers that return empty <URLBase/> elements in their response.
* Tcl plugin uses saner, race-free plugin loading.
* Fix the Tcl signals-test plugin for savedstatus-changed.
* Make Pidgin more friendly to non-X11 GTK+, such as MacPorts?' +no_x11 variant.
* Fix a crash at startup with large contact list. Avatar support for buddies will be disabled until 3.0.0.
* Support for SASL authentication.
* Print topic setter information at channel join.
* Fix SSL certificate issue when signing into MSN for some users.
* Fix a crash when removing a user before its icon is loaded.
* Fix two bugs where a remote MXit user could possibly specify a local file path to be written to.
* Fix a bug where the MXit server or a man-in-the-middle could potentially send specially crafted data that could overflow a buffer and lead to a crash or remote code execution.
* Display farewell messages in a different colour to distinguish them from normal messages.
* Add support for typing notification.
* Add support for the Relationship Status profile attribute.
* Remove all reference to Hidden Number.
* Ignore new invites to join a GroupChat? if you're already joined, or still have a pending invite.
* The buddy's name was not centered vertically in the buddy-list if they did not have a status-message or mood set.
* Fix decoding of font-size changes in the markup of received messages.
* Increase the maximum file size that can be transferred to 1 MB.
* When setting an avatar image, no longer downscale it to 96x96.
* Fix a crash in Sametime when a malicious server sends us an abnormally long user ID.
* Fix a double-free in profile/picture loading code.
* Fix retrieving server-side buddy aliases.
* The Voice/Video? Settings plugin supports using the sndio GStreamer backends.
* Fix a crash in the Contact Availability Detection plugin.
* Make the Message Notification plugin more friendly to non-X11 GTK+, such as MacPorts?' +no_x11 variant.
# Windows-Specific Changes
* Compile with secure flags
* Installer downloads GTK+ Runtime and Debug Symbols more securely.
* Updates to a number of dependencies, some of which have security related fixes.
- ATK 1.32.0-2
- Cyrus SASL 2.1.25
- expat 2.1.0-1
- freetype 2.4.10-1
- gettext 0.18.1.1-2
- Glib 2.28.8-1
- libpng 1.4.12-1
- libxml2 2.9.0-1
- NSS 3.13.6 and NSPR 4.9.2
- Pango 1.29.4-1
- SILC 1.1.10
- zlib 1.2.5-2
* Patch libmeanwhile (sametime library) to fix crash.