Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0
Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics and databases. The application is available in many languages and works on all common computers.
Apache OpenOffice is the result of over twenty years' software engineering. Designed from the start as a single piece of software, it has a consistency other products cannot match. A completely open development process means that anyone can report bugs, request new features, or enhance the software.
Easy to use
Apache OpenOffice is easy to learn, and if you're already using another office software package, you'll take to it straight away. The world-wide native-language community means that Apache OpenOffice is probably available and supported in your own language.
Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees. Apache OpenOffice is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration.
Note: As of April 2011, commercial development of OpenOffice.org project has been terminated. The code was contributed to the Apache Software Foundation, where volunteers continue to develop it. LibreOffice, a fork of OpenOffice is now available for download here.
# New Features and Enhancements
* New Sidebar
* Interoperability Improvements
- Text Documents
- Presentation Documents
- Spreadhseet Documents
- OOXML general
* DrawObject Improvements/Enhancements
- New Color Palette
- New Gradients
* New Gallery Themes and Gallery enhancements
- Gallery themes added from Symphony.
- Enhancements to existing Gallery
- Refined the Selection Handles User Interface
- Refined Selection Visualization
- Better Print Preview
- Enhanced conversion to Bitmap Graphics
- Enhanced FillType 'Bitmap'
- Enhanced Copy/Paste
- Enhanced Drag&Drop
- Adapt LineStart/End to LineWidth
- SVG Export enhancements
- SVG/Metafile Break improvements
- SVG Import improvements
- Picture Crop mode offers preview
- Unified visualization of ColorPalette popups
- Transparency support for pixel formats (PNG)
- Connectors support rotation
- Corrected Hatch fill style visualization
- Better gradient support in metafiles
# Calc and Chart Improvements/Enhancements
* Support relative Pie Chart Height
* New Functions
- Calc now supports the spreadsheet functions: AVERAGEIFS, COUNTIFS, and SUMIFS.
- Calc now supports the function XOR.
- Calc now supports the functions LEFTB, RIGHTB, LENB, and MIDB.
- Calc's RAND function was reimplemented to use the Mersenne-Twister algorithm.
* Extensions Improvements/Enhancements
- New Toolbar management
- Unified menu API
* Performance Improvements/Enhancements
- Many resource leaks were fixed.
- Speedup of Graphic Rendering
# Additional Language Support
* New translations available:
# Improved Quality Management Tools
* New Automated Testing Framework
- BVT (Basic Verification Tests)
- FVT (Functional Verification Tests)
- PVT (Performance Verification Tests)
- SVT (System Verifcation Tests)
# Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility
* Module binfilter removed
* Python support updated
* Support for system C++ STL
# Bug Fixes
* Important bug fixes have been made in these areas:
- Support for Java 7, and the Java Access Bridge v2.0.3 implemented in JRE 1.7u6 and later has been restored.
- Windows OS users requiring Accessibility support for Assistive Technology tools can now use current Oracle releases of the Java SE 7 Runtime Environment and the Java Accessibility API on Windows.