Eudora 8.0.0 Beta 7
ScamWatch combats "phishing" schemes that use disguised URL's to gather personal information. Eudora now detects if the URL in the link differs suspiciously from the host name and warns you to exercise caution before making the connection.
Version 8 is now open source and based on Thunderbird. The project's intention was to join the EudoraÂ® user experience with the Mozilla platform. The developers intended to produce a version of Eudora, which is open source and based on Mozilla and Thunderbird. It's *not* their intention to compete with Thunderbird; rather, they wanted to complement it. As such, the team at Eudora are committed to preserving the Eudora experience and also maintaining maximum compatibility with Thunderbird. The overall goal is to continue to build around a single development community for Thunderbird and Eudora.
GENERAL NEW FEATURES
- Search Messages now uses the fast index if turned on in the preferences,
Advanced->General->Enable Global Search and Indexer. The checkbox
"Use indexed search" in the Search Messages can be used to turn this on/off.
- Eudora now automatically checks if new versions are available. A manual
check can be done by going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates.
- Select newly inserted messages (FUMLUB) feature now selects end message if
there is no last unread block.
- Fixed bug where mailbox columns get set to the default every time a window is
opened. Now it just happens once on a per-mailbox basis.
- Thread column now shown by default for news windows.
- Added UI in the Penelope prefs panel to expose the setting that controls hiding
the tab if the there is only one in a mailbox window.
- No longer auto-opening Trash and Junk mailboxes when new messages arrive
- Restored functionality of In and Out toolbar buttons.
- Ctrl+0 is mapped to Reset Zoom in Thunderbird, and that conflicts with the
hotkey for open the Out mailbox in Penelope. So go rid of Thunderbird's key so
that Penelope's can function.
- Removed the Open messages in tabs preference because Thunderbird now has
a setting that controls that in Advanced->Reading & Display->Open messages in.
- The Backspace key now deletes a message in a mailbox window for Windows and
Linux (Mac Thunderbird already has this feature).
- Fix for bug where the saved window list get restored during non-startup times.
- Fixed bug where the about:config windows was being opened on restore when
the Pref window was opened.
- Activity Monitor, About, Error Console, and Venkman windows are now
saved/restored across sessions.
- Fixed the Contacts toolbar button in composition message windows, which wasn't
displaying the correct icon.
- Filter auto-naming now works correctly when using "Match all messages".
- Junk score and attachment conditions now used in auto-naming filters.
- Fixed problem where trying to find one-off imported folders for doing filter importing
and the name had changed from "Eudora Mail" to "Eudora Import".
- Renamed the thunderbird-branding.js file to all-eudora.js so that it takes precedence
over (i.e. is alphabetically before) the all-thunderbird.js pref file.
- Mail Start page wasn't showing up on Windows due to missing files in installer.
- Fixed up the URL portion of the SelectedTextURL entry for the Thesaurus.
- Localization of Penelope in to Russian by Alexander Slovesnik.